Friday, December 20, 2013

Frost and chill, bless the Lord

Every time we get a snowstorm and Facebook lights up with posts about shoveling out, wondering when power will go out, getting bread and milk, traffic and all the other things I feel compelled to post a bible verse:
Daniel 3:74 Hoarfrost and snow, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
It's just a little snippet of the prayer of Azariah (also known as Abednego), one of the guys tossed into the white-hot furnace along with Meshach and Shadrach from Daniel chapter 3.  If you are a Veggie Tales fan you know them as Rack, Shack, and Benny.

I post it to remind myself that in everything we need to bless the Lord.  In trials and tribulations, in snow and cold and rain.  Even in floods and power outages, we need to bless the Lord.  

Many times I forget that.  I don't bless the Lord when times are not going well.  Sure, I pray to him and ask for help fixing what's wrong and asking for tolerance but those times when things seem a struggle are when I forget to also bless the Lord.

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego are bound and the flames were made so hot that it devoured the men who threw them into the furnace! Abednego was just tossed into a white hot furnace and he goes about singing to God and blessing the Lord. 

It's a subtle reminder for me to not look to God in anger or frustration when things aren't going right but instead to praise him.  If ever you find yourself in this situation please go read Daniel chapter 3 slowly and prayerfully!



No comments:

Post a Comment